The Servant of God -Frank Duff
The Founder of the Legion of Mary

 Legion of Mary Vexillum
Picture of Frank Duff
   The Legion Vexillum

   Home


Legion Candle

Frank Duff was born in Dublin, Ireland, on June 7, 1889. He was the eldest of seven children. In 1913, he joined the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, and was greatly influenced by the spirit of the Society. As a member, he gradually came to have a great love for the poor and underprivileged, in whom, as in everyone he met, he recognized and honored Christ. In 1916, aged 27, he published his first pamphlet "Can We Be Saints?"  In it he expressed one of the strongest convictions of his life, namely, that all without exception are called to be Saints, and that through our Catholic Faith we have available the means necessary to attain this.

In 1917, he came to know the Treatise of St. Louis Marie de Montfort on the True Devotion to Mary, a work which changed his life completely, and resulted in his founding of the Legion of Mary. This is a lay apostolic organization at the service of the Church, under ecclesiastical guidance.  Its twofold purpose is the spiritual development of its members and advancing the Reign of Christ through Our Lady, the Mother of God.  The Legion which is to be found in 168 countries, has more than three million active members and many more auxiliary members, who pray the daily Legion Prayers.  In 1965, Pope Paul VI invited Frank Duff to attend the Second Vatican Council as a Lay Observer, and honor by which the Pope recognized and affirmed his enormous work for the Lay Apostolate.

On November 7, 1980, Frank Duff died, and was buried in Glasnevin Cemetary, Dublin
Ireland.  In July 1996, the Cause for his Beatification was introduced by the then Archbishop of Dublin, now his Eminence, Desmond Cardinal Connell.

If you have received a favour attributed to Frank Duff's intercession, please write and describe the circumstances of the action, and mail to: Legion of Mary, De Montford House, Morning Star Avenue, Brunswick Street, Dublin 7, Ireland.


Tessera Picture

        How the Legion got its Name
  The First Members of the Legion called their group, The Association of Our Lady of Mercy.After a year, there were five (Praesidia) which had formed, and the first Curia met in Dublin at Myra House, and a Novena was held for the purpose of finding a name for the organization.Many names were suggested at the following meeting, for example, The Society of St. Bridget.But Frank had already the thought that an  international name was needed...One very late night, he was in his study, and as he looked at  a beautiful picture of Our Lady on his wall, the name came to him... The Legion of Mary. That name determined the whole future of the the Legion, with its indomitable spirit of bravery, as well as the Roman Terminology, and the Legion Symbols, such as the Vexillum. And you  will find on the Tessera, this tremendous advancing host with their banners and Vexillum...

Statue of Mary, with Flowers
  Home  Top of Page   Edel Quinn   Alfie Lambe  Legion Intercession Prayers   Daily Legion Prayers   Demontfort   True Devotion   Links